• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16069 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:11 PM

I have been doing deep pit since I was old enough to throw wood in the pit.

and all I got to say about yours...................... smiley-bowdown-purple.gif wow

I was up your way last week, next time I am up there I will have to stop by for a beer and say hi

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#17 Yupurs

Yupurs

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

WOW--- nice pit.
We always used a section of 48" pipe buried in the ground, covered and sealed the same way.

Instead of using the dirt-- make a lid to fit with fire gasketing rope and use the post to fab a lifting arm.
You would need a HEAVY plate to weigh itself down on the gasket.

Once again--- nice job!!
Roger

God is Great, Beer is good----- and People are crazy

#18 madhunter

madhunter

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Thanks guys. We have cooked 4 times in it and at least 2 families will use it for Christmas. Hope everyone has a great Christmas with some great food for the family.

#19 franklin

franklin

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

I beleive you have uncovered the secret to pit cooking.
get all your freinds involved, be creative and drink and be merry!
Cant miss.
awesome job. Only thing I might add is find something other than a 400lb steel plate to cover it! damn your gona have to wor way to hard to move that thing around.
P.S. Not that I notice things like this BUT!
I dont think the heat caused the cracking in your slab, you just didnt get good compaction, and didn't use any rebar, and probably used an un approved mix design to.
we'll get a seven day break on those cylinders you collected and let you know the results.
We might have to take some core samples and you wont be allowed to erect steel until the engineer ok's it.
But if you can live with it like it is?
beer-toast.gif

#20 Scout

Scout

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Very nice looking pit.....I will need to start one for myself....Turkey looks good!

-Scout smiley-bowdown-purple.gif
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have."

Thomas Jefferson

#21 madhunter

madhunter

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

Here is our much more simple deep pit we put behind our house. Same kid and dog (on the right, the one on the left is his daughter) as seven years ago. Damn time flies. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

First time trying to post a picture from a phone so I hope it works.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users