• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pulverizer

pulverizer

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

I have been reading the regulations and can not find any where that states how far, if any, distance a shooter must be away from a road. The regs just state 150 yrds from an occupied house, dwelling, barn, etc. The only thing about a road is that is illegal "to shoot any firearm from or upon a public road or highway". So what if I see a deer and I step off the road say 10 feet and shoot in a safe direction? I know intentionally shooting over a road is illegal...... Just wanted to get your thoughts. Maybe some of the peace officers and wardens can shed some light. --Mike

#2 Mav

Mav

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

There is not state law that says you need to any distance from road just not on, or across. I know that CNF says that you need to be 150 yards from any road or trail.

#3 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,417 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

I was once told that in Imperial Co. you had to be 50 yds from any named road. I checked on that and was told that as long as you do not shoot over a road you can be one foot off of it and be legal............... :thumbs-up-ani:
San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#4 API

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts
  • Interests:What?

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

I was informed by an AZ G&F warden that I was required to be 1/4 mile from an occupied structure and to not shoot from or across a road.

DUE TO THE PRICE INCREASE ON AMMUNITION...
DO NOT EXPECT A WARNING SHOT !
Thank you for your understanding 

"I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa ― not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car". Wil Shriner

"It's okay to take your meds with beer." - Ray Kelly

#5 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

More Money Shots....Please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

I believe I have seen the same regs about the CNF, maybe on their site? I am not sure..... a few weeks ago a ranger busted some hunters who were dove hunting to close to the road, and hassled us a little bit as well to see if we knew the regs.... he was cool in the end.

The reason Mikey asked this is because we saw a dandy buck close to the road in the CNF. I think we will stay away from the road just to be safe. Then the deer is safely and legally mine!!!! haha
Formerly Chompot

#6 pulverizer

pulverizer

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

Sec. 261.10 Occupancy and use.
The following are prohibited:
(.a) Constructing, placing, or maintaining any kind of road, trail, structure, fence, enclosure, communication equipment, or other improvement on National Forest system land or facilities without a special-use authorization, contract, or approved operating plan.
(.:thumbs-up-ani: Taking possession of, occupying, or otherwise using National Forest System lands for residential purposes without a special-use authorization, or as otherwise authorized by Federal law or regulation.
(.c) Selling or offering for sale any merchandise or conducting any kind of work activity or service unless authorized by Federal law, regulation, or special-use authorization.
(.d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.

If I am understanding correctly, the #2 sub-sentence follows "or" ,and as being its own sub-sentence should not pertain to the 150 yards stating in #1.... Am I just trying to squeeze what I can, or am I right? Seems just the same as the DFG regs.

#7 DKScott

DKScott

EBS Wingshooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:45 PM

Those comments are the kinds of casual, incomplete and/or inaccurate information that gets people cited or worse. Those wardens were telling you what they personally would write a ticket over. The local Sheriff's deputy or another warden might have a different threshhold. Its worth knowing the actual law

These laws are set by county ordinance. I assume you are asking about Riverside County. They specify 300 yards except for a shotgun. I infer that its 150 yards for a shotgun but the law is not clear. Here is the ordinance:

http://www.clerkofth.../500/514.10.pdf

Here is the relevant part:

Section 3. It shall be unlawful in either the Western Zone or the Eastern Zone for
any person to shoot or discharge any firearm within 300 yards of any occupied or
unoccupied building, house or dwelling place, without the written consent of the owner or
occupant thereof, or any shotgun within 150 yards, or any other firearm within 300 yards of
any corral, paddock, feed yard, dairy, barn or other farm building where cattle, horses,
sheep or other animals are raised, milked, fed, trained, housed or confined, without the
written consent of the owner or operator thereof, or within 300 yards of any park, public
campgrounds, or state riding and hiking trail, or for any person to shoot or discharge within
300 yards of any public highway, public road or public street any firearm other than a
shotgun used in lawfully hunting game pursuant to a valid hunting license.

Section 4. It shall be unlawful in either the Western Zone or the Eastern Zone for
any person to shoot or discharge within one mile of any incorporated city any firearm, other
than a shotgun used in lawfully hunting game pursuant to a valid hunting license.

Section 5. It shall be unlawful in either the Western Zone or the Eastern Zone to
shoot or discharge any firearm between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before
sunrise of the following day.

For Imperial County:

http://municipalcode...es/imperial_co/

11.08.010 Discharge of firearms within fifty yards of any public highway.

It is unlawful for any person, other than a peace officer acting in official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge or for any person, firm or corporation to cause or permit any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, or firearm to be shot, fired or discharged upon, along, across or within fifty (50) yards of any state maintained highway or county paved or unpaved maintained highway except when necessary to do so in protection of life or property. (Prior code 51400)

11.08.020 Possession of firearms in county recreational parks.

It is unlawful for any person to possess a gun within a county recreational park unless the gun is unloaded and is fully encased in a gun case. (Prior code 51402)

11.08.030 Discharge of firearms in county recreational parks.

It is unlawful for any person, other than a peace officer acting in the official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge or cause or permit the shooting of any rifle, pistol, revolver, shotgun, bow and arrow, air or B-B gun upon, within, across or within fifty (50) yards of any county recreational park. This section shall become effective within the area of a county recreational park when signs as designated by the board of supervisors have been posted along the perimeter of such area at not less than five signs per mile and at all roads and trails entering such area, which signs shall give adequate warning notice of the provisions of this section. (Prior code 51403)

I couldn't find the San Diego regs, but you can bet they have them
"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey Never underestimate the power of STFU

#8 pulverizer

pulverizer

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

I guess that there is the answer.. 300 yards seems pretty far. But, now we all know. Thanks.

#9 DKScott

DKScott

EBS Wingshooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

Thats 300 for a rifle. Personally, I would do 150 for a shotgun. In some out of the way cowpath, maybe a bit less. I think that's defensible, but its all at your own risk.
"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."

#10 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

Those comments are the kinds of casual, incomplete and/or inaccurate information that gets people cited or worse. Those wardens were telling you what they personally would write a ticket over. The local Sheriff's deputy or another warden might have a different threshhold. Its worth knowing the actual law

These laws are set by county ordinance. I assume you are asking about Riverside County. They specify 300 yards except for a shotgun. I infer that its 150 yards for a shotgun but the law is not clear. Here is the ordinance:

For Imperial County:

http://municipalcode...es/imperial_co/

11.08.010 Discharge of firearms within fifty yards of any public highway.

It is unlawful for any person, other than a peace officer acting in official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge or for any person, firm or corporation to cause or permit any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, or firearm to be shot, fired or discharged upon, along, across or within fifty (50) yards of any state maintained highway or county paved or unpaved maintained highway except when necessary to do so in protection of life or property. (Prior code 51400)

11.08.020 Possession of firearms in county recreational parks.

It is unlawful for any person to possess a gun within a county recreational park unless the gun is unloaded and is fully encased in a gun case. (Prior code 51402)

11.08.030 Discharge of firearms in county recreational parks.

It is unlawful for any person, other than a peace officer acting in the official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge or cause or permit the shooting of any rifle, pistol, revolver, shotgun, bow and arrow, air or B-B gun upon, within, across or within fifty (50) yards of any county recreational park. This section shall become effective within the area of a county recreational park when signs as designated by the board of supervisors have been posted along the perimeter of such area at not less than five signs per mile and at all roads and trails entering such area, which signs shall give adequate warning notice of the provisions of this section. (Prior code 51403)

I couldn't find the San Diego regs, but you can bet they have them

That's what I was told also (game warden)............... With that being the regulation..............That includes most hunting spots in the county.............Hell, that includes spots on Wister... :thumbs-up-ani: ....Imperial Co. is pretty casual about laws like this (also hunting fields that are cultivated, but not posted).

San Diego Co. tried to pass a law saying you couldn't discharge a gun within 1 mile of any named road. That would've covered about every hunting spot in the county. Fortunately, the F & G commissions picked up on it and it was defeated............. :lol:
CWA Life Member

#11 pulverizer

pulverizer

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

The part of the forest we hunt quail and what not we always do 150. I always thought 150 was true for rifle as well. Now I need to be extra careful. The other problem that arises as well is being that distance from a trail..... I mean come on. There are many trails in CNF and with brush being so thick, that is almost the only way to travel.

#12 DKScott

DKScott

EBS Wingshooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

I am just thinking about the dove opener down in the IV. All those named roads along the DWU fields and other places where hunters are lined up cheek to jowl along the roads. Does the reg mean any couonty maintained road? I am not sure I have ever seen an "unpaved highway"

Pulverizer

distance from a trail

That seems like a sort of a "gotcha' provision. If a cop or warden wants your ass and has nothing else, he can probably find a trail within 300 yards. Its crap.

#13 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,417 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

The part of the forest we hunt quail and what not we always do 150. I always thought 150 was true for rifle as well. Now I need to be extra careful. The other problem that arises as well is being that distance from a trail..... I mean come on. There are many trails in CNF and with brush being so thick, that is almost the only way to travel.

This is all part of the bigger picture of trying to outlaw hunting on a local basis................ :thumbs-up-ani:
CWA Life Member

#14 QALHNTR

QALHNTR

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:11 AM

San Diego Co. tried to pass a law saying you couldn't discharge a gun within 1 mile of any named road. That would've covered about every hunting spot in the county.

Out on the Parker Strip on the California side, there is some BLM land that is just north of the CRIT lands. The Havasu BLM District has special reg's for the Parker Strip Recreation Zone - ONE mile from the road!

This used to be our late season dove spot and a place for an occasional quail hunt. Two hunters in our RV park supposedly got written up....... I called the BLM field office and they confirmed the ONE mile limit. They said it was due to the high concentration of sand rails/ ATV's in the area?????
Excellence is not a singular act, but a habit. You are what you repeatedly do.

A man's footprints in life are only as deep as the ones that follow in his steps.

#15 onyertoes

onyertoes

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

Always confusing and subjective this topic of what is considered a road, trail, highway, etc... Guess one must mainly rely on the county rules as mentioned. Except that the last time I heard a highway (state or US) would have something like a 1000' rule. Likely such overrules any of the county ordinance pertaining to roadways, etc. that ya may rather abide by or apply to your situation.

Just as bad is the rules concerning loaded weapons on roadways. I think dfg allows bullets in the magazine if unchambered and but your various law enforcement have other rules that say otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users