11 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop

Bishop

Guide

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

Well, just got back from the Twisselman Ranch. Five of us went and brought back 6 hogs. The ranch is located in the Carriza Plains west of Bakersfield. It's been in the family for several generations and covers 80,000 acres (150 sq. miles).
Several of the family members guide on the ranch for tule elk, pigs, buffalo, exotics, and upland birds. Last year we went with Nolan Twisselman of "Twisselman's Outfitters". We had a great time and went 3 for 3
(write up of last years hunt: http://www.theoutdoo...showtopic=4817)
We tried to book with Nolan again, but he was already booked up for this weekend So we went with his brother Andrew, who runs "Carrissa Plains Exotics".
Got there early enough to head out friday evening. After checking out some barley fields we waited until just before dark when the pigs started to come out of the juniper canyons. Friday night Steve S. scored on the largest boar of the weekend with 2 1/2" choppers. Evan III also scored friday night on a good meat pig.
Saturday morning Steve and Evan got to sleep in while Yotegetter, CsBishop, and myself went out. Right off the bat we got into 3 pigs in the first barley field we hit. Score 1 each for me and CsBishop. At about 10am we headed back to the bunkhouse to get some ground squirrel shooting in before the evening hunt.
After some squirrel shooting, lunch, and a nap, the guide came back to take Evan and Yotegetter out to fill his tag. Yotegetter ended the evening with 2 hogs. We'll let him tell that story.
I highly recommend both Nolan and Andrew's guide service. Great guys, hardworking, and a good deal. $475 (Nolan) $500 (Andrew), includes a two day fully guided hunt and transportation, field dressing your game, a bunkhouse with full kitchen, comfortable beds and bathroom and shower. And if you get your pig early, your welcome to shoot on their range, or get in some varmint hunting.

Here's a few pictures, more to come.

Attached Files

John Bishop, Commissioner
San Bernardino County
Fish & Game Commission

San Bernardino Co. Shooting Map
http://www.specialdi...x.aspx?page=172
NRA.jpgphoto-thumb-76.jpg

Innovation, Not Intimidation
The Original TOF, accept no pay to play substitutes!

#2 83blazer

83blazer

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

Man, those are some pigs. I had bacon wrapped hot dogs and the bacon tasted pretty bad. I bet those pigs are going to taste really good.

Comgrat's fellas.

#3 DeltaDan

DeltaDan

"So this dyslexic alcoholic walked into a bra......."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts
  • Location:Oakley, California (via Brentwood- about 4 miles down the road)

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

Too Cool every one - :smiley-cool-partys:

Did you bring enoufgh coolers to take all of them home ~ !! :smiley-cool-shades-down:

Thanks again for recommending another great guide service. :smiley_prayin_ani:

Bishop, Were you able to use your hand cannon again on these hogs?
I have been Re-Born into the Paternal BrothA'hood of the Lounge Lizards ~!!
~~ Blood in....... Blood Out.... Thats how we roll Baby !!

"Restoration- It is the key to Habitat and it's Preservation where Natures Game can take it's Refugation- as long as there is not Conservation that kills off the Hunting/Gaming Equation- leading into Unmanned Depredation of Natures Transformation." ( A Coors Light momentary thought. )

#4 Bishop

Bishop

Guide

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

Bishop, Were you able to use your hand cannon again on these hogs?

Actually this was my first pig with a rifle. I wanted to try out my new Encore carbine with the .300 win mag barrel. Nice gun to shoot, but I think I'll be back to using my Casull or Contender next time.

San Bernardino County
Fish & Game Commission

#5 JDC

JDC

Itchin to pull the trigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:41 AM

What a great sounding hunt! Congrats to all who have fresh ham, bacon and sausage gracing their freezer!!

:smiley-cool-shades-down:
There is no room for hyphenated Americans in this country

-Theodore Roosevelt-

Thought for the day -

Handle every situation like a dog......

If you can't Eat it or Hump it,
Piss on it and Walk Away

#6 DeltaDan

DeltaDan

"So this dyslexic alcoholic walked into a bra......."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts
  • Location:Oakley, California (via Brentwood- about 4 miles down the road)

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

That is a Sweet looking firearm Bishop. Is it hard to find them with the thumb hole stock and carbine barrel? and more expensive?

I was looking at the Encore for Luke's first gun..... It was alot of bills out of my realistic pricerange- But I keep comming back to that the encore would be the perfect youth gun for first time big-game hunters. :smiley-cool-shades-down:
I have been Re-Born into the Paternal BrothA'hood of the Lounge Lizards ~!!
~~ Blood in....... Blood Out.... Thats how we roll Baby !!

"Restoration- It is the key to Habitat and it's Preservation where Natures Game can take it's Refugation- as long as there is not Conservation that kills off the Hunting/Gaming Equation- leading into Unmanned Depredation of Natures Transformation." ( A Coors Light momentary thought. )

#7 Arise

Arise

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

You guys tore it up. Congrats! :smiley-cool-shades-down:

#8 00BuckShot

00BuckShot

You can have my guns when you rip them from my cold, dead hands.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,016 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Motorsports (Motorcycles, dirt, street and ATV), Watersports, Hunting, camping and fishing

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:13 AM

Sweet hunt boys. Glad to hear it was a success!!!!!!
-jd

#9 pitdog

pitdog

Old and grumpy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

Nice going Bishop's!!! :smiley-cool-shades-down: Looks like you saved a couple acres of Barley.

I guess that means you won't be going to FHL with us. :smiley-cool-partys:

It Ain't How Hard You Hit - It's How Hard You Can Get Hit and Keep Moving Forward!

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again... Then quit. There's no use in being a damn fool about it"
~W.C. Fields

#10 Bishop

Bishop

Guide

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

That is a Sweet looking firearm Bishop. Is it hard to find them with the thumb hole stock and carbine barrel? and more expensive?

I don't think the stock and barrel are much more expensive then the standard ones. The stock is just a typical composite stock, except with the thunb hole and camo finnish.
And the barrel is a 22" " Custom Shop" T/C barrel in .300 win mag. I bought it on Ebay for the about the same price as a standard barrel. It's not really that short, since standard caliber barrels are 24", and magnum barrels are 26". I'd be just as happy with a 24" .308 or 30-06 barrel. I think the .300 win mag barrel was just a good deal on Ebay because some bidders may have been worried obout the recoil and loss of velocity with the shorter barrel.

I was looking at the Encore for Luke's first gun..... It was alot of bills out of my realistic pricerange- But I keep comming back to that the encore would be the perfect youth gun for first time big-game hunters. :smiley-cool-shades-down:

A pretty good alternative is the "Handi-Rifles". We've got 3 of them in the family, and their good shooters. It's just a little inconvient to have to send the rifle back to the factory each time you want a new barrel. But the price of the gun and extra barrels is very attractive.
http://www.hr1871.co...fles/youth.aspx

San Bernardino County
Fish & Game Commission

#11 karstic

karstic

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

Good job boys!

John do they have a website?
It probably played out like this...

Jefferson, Franklin and the rest of the guys were sitting around over multiple rounds of micro-brew ales and said:

Madison: "We need to give people the right to believe what they want, say what they want, print BOTH of those AND get together when they feel like like it!"

[after an up-roarious round of laughter and side holding and breath catching]

Jefferson: "Yeah, right! How long do you think THAT ###### will last?"

Hamilton (after way too many beers for this important a task): "We'll make sure everyone has guns! I'll write it like: ..., blah, blah, etc; the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed... Ah nevermind; I'll write the rest later... Get me another beer!!!" (keep in mind beer steins were about a quart!)

Franklin (lifts his drunken head): "Dude! Philly Meet and Greet!!!!!!"

#12 Bishop

Bishop

Guide

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

Good job boys!

John do they have a website?

http://twisselmanout...ldhoghunts.html (Nolan Twisselman)

http://www.exotic-hu...t/packages.html (Andrew Twisselman)

San Bernardino County
Fish & Game Commission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users