#1 socal duckie

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,804 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

Attached File  rifle.jpg   5.22KB   32 downloads

The Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifle, manufactured 1939 to 1945 in the Tokyo and Nagoya Arsenals, Japan. It was the replacement of the Type 38 rifle and was the primary Japanese battle rifle until their surrender to Allied forces in 1945. The Type 99 is a variation of the Mauser design and early production models have probably one of the strongest receiver/action of any military bolt action rifles.

At the end of WWII the chrysanthemum (mum) markings on the receivers of surrendered Japanese rifles were removed. The sixteen petal mum is the imperial symbol of the Japanese Emperor. Below is an example of one that escaped being defaced.

http://www.radix.net...e_markings.html

Both the Long and Short Rifles were fitted with a sliding bolt cover (which traveled in narrow grooves cut in either side of the receiver as the bolt was worked) and a folding wire monopod pinned into a T-shaped block on the lower band. The monopod and bolt cover were usually dispensed with in battle. Later versions of the Type 99 may be unsafe to shoot as the quality of the metallurgy began to decline sharply after 1942. The later (1943-45) rifles are often identified as having a fixed notch rear sight instead of the customary folding/sliding leaf sight, no provision for attaching a sliding bolt cover or monopod or mounting an under barrel cleaning rod and the lack of a chrome-plated bore. Check with a qualified gunsmith if unsure.

The Japanese ideographs on the rifle receiver ring below the chrysanthemum in the photo translate as "99 Type." Many of chrysanthemum markings were ground off the rifles by surrendering Japanese troops because it was considered a disgrace to hand over a rifle was considered the property of the Emperor. An unconfirmed tale has it that General Douglas MacArthur at war's end also ordered the chrysanthemum markings removed from scores of captured Japanese rifles as part of the process of de-deifying the Emperor. (contributed by Michael E. Kreca)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

thats the history i could confirm on the rifle....now this is what i was told, but couldn't confirm.

that a American got a hold of hundreds of these rifles and turned them into hunting rifles...which i have one of. it is chambered in 30-06

Attached File  100_0279.jpg   397.2KB   48 downloads

when i got the rifle 15+ years ago it had a hair line crack in the stock....and apparently over the years oil had penetrated it......

Attached File  100_0277.jpg   643.88KB   43 downloads

and thats what happens when it falls out of the safe.. :smiley-rock-on:
STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK....DO SOMETHING!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 00BuckShot

00BuckShot

You can have my guns when you rip them from my cold, dead hands.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,016 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Motorsports (Motorcycles, dirt, street and ATV), Watersports, Hunting, camping and fishing

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:20 AM

Here's a place that makes custom stocks to replace it if you want to. I have one of their wildcat stocks on my 1903 springfield.

My 1903 was already sporterized when I got it but it had a righty cheek pad that dug into my cheek. I didn't like it so I got one of these stocks. They come almost completed but I inleted it and finished it and it is now one of my favorite bench, ironsight rifles.

Check out their website.

I really want to get their Tack Driver stock for my Savage 93 17HMR in some wild laminate color.
-jd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users